How Can I Make Money By Working From Home?
It is time to make a change. You are either sick of working for someone else, or you want to earn some extra money on the side. You have seen that there are lots of different ways to make money by working from home, but are not sure where to start. It is easy to get overwhelmed and give up, as it is hard to pick a starting point. Don’t worry! You have come to the right place for answers to the question of “How can I make money by working from home?”
Some ways will make you a small amount of money quickly, while other ways will take more commitment, but with effort you can make a considerable living from them. Keep reading for some ideas to help you reach a starting point.
Ways To Earn Money Quickly
First, I am going to go through a few ideas to make money from home that are not difficult. These won’t earn you much money, nor should they be used as a long term solution for getting an income. However, they can be used for topping up your bank account, or as a supplementary income while you are building up a more sustainable business.
If you are looking for more long term ways of making money, you should scroll to the next section.
Filling online surveys is one of the easiest ways to make money from home. You literally need to sign up and start filling them in.
Companies like to get the public’s opinion on things. The information they receive from surveys allow companies to tweak their products or marketing material before they are released. This feedback is very valuable to companies, so they pay people to fill them in.
You are not going to make a lot of money filling in online surveys. But you will be able to make a bit of pocket money for nights out, if you are saving up for something or paying off a debt. You can get paid anything from less than $1 to over $20, but typically you will get paid between $1 and $5. If you can fill in a few surveys per day, you can make a nice amount of cash.
One of the biggest red flags you should be aware of, is companies that require you to pay them up front. No matter how legitimate they come across as, you need to remember that you are filling in surveys to make money not to spend it. Companies that want your money are likely to be scam artists.
Data entry is another very simple way of making money online. It is possible to earn $200 to $1000 per month. However, the amount of money you can earn depends on the type of job you get, the amount of time you spend doing it, your qualifications and how fit you are at typing.
There are a few different types of online data entry jobs available:
- Captcha – This is something anyone can do. You are given some software and a username and password in order to type out the letters and numbers on Captcha security images. It is possible to earn $500 per month!
- Copy and paste – This is literally a case of copying data from one spreadsheet to another. However, you need to be careful and be able to read and understand the data to do a proper job.
- Basic Typing – The most basic data entry job is typing data in to spreadsheets and documents. You will need a number pad to do this efficiently, as just using the number keys on the top row of your keyboard will slow you down. You also need to be able to type over 30 words per minute to make it worth while.
- Image to text – You will get a number of images containing text. Your job will be to type the text in to word or excel documents.
- Medical transcription – You need to have good listening and fast typing skills for medical transcription. This is because you have to type what is being said to you on the phone.
- Formatting – You need very good attention to detail and excellent knowledge of Microsoft word. This is because your task is to accurately put documents in to the required format, such as indentation, aligning etc
- Inventory – As a catalog data entry operator, you create inventory lists with the necessary data, such as product names, serial numbers, stock levels etc
- Medical coding – This is where you have to enter product codes of different type of medicine. You obviously need to be very careful when doing this and it requires medical experience to do.
- Pay roll – Large companies have the need for data entry of their employee’s information for payroll. It is a very similar job to inventory data entry
- Processing emails – This is more a case of reading rather than data entry. Your job will be to read emails to find out what they are about. it is common to process thousands of emails in a day. If you like gossip, this could be tote interesting.
If you are good at picking up on grammatical errors (let me know if you find any here), this may be a good way for you to make some money.
When a document, article or piece of literature has been written, it needs to be prepared for publication. the writer, may be an expert in what they are writing about, but may not be 100% accurate with grammar or spelling. Therefore, a proofreader reads that has been written and spots any errors.
If you have exceptional skills and experience, you may be able to do some copy editing. This is more in-depth, as you will be able to suggest larger changes to the publication, it terms of how it reads.
Proof reading is a great option for those that want to earn a bit of extra money. As long as you meet your client’s deadlines, you can do it at any time of the day.
Online Businesses You Can Start From Working At Home
If you have a flair for writing, you may want to start your own copywriting business. It is one of those businesses you can do from anywhere and if you market yourself properly, it can be very lucrative.
Businesses rely on content, whether that be adverts, social media posts, blogs or leaflets. Therefore, they pay copywriters to produce this content for them. There are basically two types of copywriter, those that write to take action and those that write to inform.
At the very least, a copywriter works with words, but there is much more to it than that. Much of a copywriter’s working day is taken up with research in order to know what to write. Copywriters also are heavily involved in proofreading, editing, image selection and planning marketing campaigns to name but a few tasks.
My guide on how to become a copywriter with no experience goes in to much more details. So, if you are considering a copywriting business, you should check it out.
Social Medial Agency
Social media is super important for businesses, but a lot find it difficult to find the time to create quality content. This is where social media agencies come in. Businesses outsource their social media tasks to agencies.
My guide on how to start a social media business gives you all the steps you need to take to get going, but in summary, a social media agency needs to give their clients the following benefits:
- Create social media strategies
- Promote the brand across multiple platforms
- Attract customers
- Analyse the competition
- Save time
By having four or five clients, you can make a nice amount of money. You can charge up to $1,000 per week for each of them. As long as you come up with the goods, you will keep them. If you want to scale up your business, you will be able to employ people to help you mange the accounts.
There are a few ways you can make money from home with blogs. Personal bloggers, use their blog to build up a personal brand in the same way they would with social media and then monetise it when they have a following. You can also write blogs for businesses to help them drive traffic to their website and get paid for it.
Writing blogs for businesses is a great way to make money. If you manage to get enough clients to write a couple of blogs per day, you can do quite well out of it. It is best to specialise in a niche. This is so you can target clients that work within a specific industry that you have an interest in or some knowledge about. For example, you may choose to write for ski holiday companies or for fitness professionals.
Drop shipping is a way in which you can sell physical products, but without ever seeing them in real life. Customers buy from your online store and the supplier of the product does all the hard work of fulfilling the order.
There are some great advantages of starting up a drop shipping business.
- Drop shipping is super cheap to start. You need the following things as a bare minimum:
- A hosted website – $3.59/month from Bluehost
- WordPress – Free
- Drop shipping plugin – Woo Commerce (free), AliDropship ($89)
- A marketing budget – This depends on what you can afford.
Drop shipping is also very easy to set up. You can have a fully working online store within a couple of hours, even if you have no experience in setting up websites. There are a few advantages to starting a drop shipping business:
- Once you perfect the elements involved with drop shipping, you can make a huge amount of money.
- If you are careful, drop shipping is low risk.
- You can do it from anywhere. As you don’t have to hold stock yourself, you can work from where you choose.
There are some disadvantages of drop shipping too:
- You won’t be getting the best whole sale price – You will only be making small orders, which may mean suppliers will charge you extra, reducing your margin. They would prefer to sell in bulk, rather than the odd unit from your website. This will make it difficult for you to make your prices competitive.
- Shipping costs can put off customers – If you can, try to include free shipping. This can be difficult if the customer orders multiple products that come from different suppliers.
- Customer service issues – If your supplier is late in fulfilling orders, it looks like it is your fault. This is where you need to manage your customer’s expectations and apologise for any issues.
- Amazon – Amazon is an established brand that people trust. The chances are, customers will be able to buy your products from Amazon cheaper.
The key things about drop shipping are, that you need to choose your drop shipping niche properly and to choose your products wisely. When you have got these two aspects established, you need to get your marketing strategy perfected. Perfecting your marketing will take time, money with trial and error. The chances are, you won’t make any money from your adverts in the beginning. However, these failures are how you dial in your targeted adverts. A long as you read the data and use it for the next advert, you will eventually get your drop shipping business to work.
Affiliate marketing is the business I have chosen to go in to. This is the process of promoting other people’s products and services in exchange for sales commissions.
It works in the following way:
- A customer searches for the answer to a question or for some information on the internet.
- Your affiliate marketing website has the most relevant information for the customer’s search. This could be a review, a buyer’s guide, a tutorial etc.
- The customer likes what you have written and decides to buy the product you have written about. They clink the affiliate link related to the product that takes them to an online store.
- The affiliate link tracks the sale and you get paid for all the sales that go through your website.
You can promote pretty much anything you like as an affiliate marketer. This is because there is an affiliate program for anything you can think of that can be sold online. However, you need to work within a niche. This is so you can target a specific audience with a common interest.
There are a few stages involved in starting an affiliate marketing business:
- Choose a niche – Choosing the right affiliate marketing niche for you is essential to the success of your business.
- Choose a domain name – Once you have a niche you want to work in, you need a domain name. Check out my guide to choosing a domain name to see all the things you should consider when coming up with a domain name.
- Build a website – If you have never built a website before, don’t worry. This is actually quite easy. You will need a website host such as Bluehost and to install WordPress. Carry on reading if you want to see there easiest way to do this.
- Create quality content – Your content is what makes up your website. You can write reviews, buyer’s guides, tutorials and recommendations. Your content needs to be created in a way that not only appeals to your audience, but to be SEO friendly. By using SEO techniques, search engines can see how relevant your content is to people’s searches. The most relevant content gets to the top of the search results, attracting more traffic.
- Monetise your website – Affiliate marketers monetise their websites in a number of ways, but the primary way is to join affiliate programs. An affiliate program is how you get the affiliate links that track your sales.
Advantages Of Affiliate Marketing
Disadvantages of Affiliate Marketing
The only real disadvantage of affiliate marketing (if you do it properly), is the amount of time it takes to start earning money. For beginner affiliate marketers, it takes months before you make a penny. It will be over a year before you start making any significant money.
This amount of time is why many affiliate marketers fail. They give up before they have had time to make it work. There have been many times where I have felt like giving up, but I am glad that I have persisted with my business.
See my guide on how to start an affiliate marketing website for details. But I really recommend that you get some quality training in order to increase your chance of success.
How Can I Make Money By Working From Home? - Answered
I hope that you have found this post useful and it has given you some ideas for making money at home. If you have any questions or thoughts on this subject, please let me know in the comments section below.