How Can I Make Money From Home? Here is how I do it
I love the outdoors and live in the French alps. The idea of being able to work my own hours really appealed to me. I want to be able to go snowboarding, mountain biking or hiking when ever I want. So, I set about answering the question”How can I make money from home?”. I looked in to a lot of ways to earn money that would allow me to have flexibility. I found affiliate marketing, and believe it is the best way for me to earn a living, while living the lifestyle I want.
What it is like making money from home
The picture above, is of my friend Tim and I this morning. We had to hike up the mountain, as it is spring and the ski lifts are closed. But, we got some exercise and some good snowboarding in, before coming back down to do some work (and have a beer). This work-life balance is perfect for me. However, I am regularly working late at night. This is because I have either been up the mountain that day, have something planned later in the week or have set myself some tasks to complete. I need to get enough work done to keep my momentum going.
This takes quite a lot of discipline, especially when your friends have a habit of luring you to the bar after a few hours in the mountains.
I like working from home for many reasons:
- It is nice and quiet, so I can be more productive
- I don’t have to travel
- I am my own boss
- I am accountable and not reliant on anyone else
- I can listen to my favourite radio station all day without anyone complaining
- I don’t have to listen to someone else’s radio station
- I can take myself out for a walk at anytime I have an amazing view from my window (see below)
- No workplace conflicts
- If the snow conditions are good, I can make the most of it, as I am not on someone else’s timetable
The only downside I really experience, is that I don’t have anyone to talk to. But, I have a great group of friends, so we have plenty to talk about when we see each other.
How can I make money from home?
There are loads of ways you can make money from home. All you need is a computer, an internet connection and some determination.
Not all of these way of earning money from home are fun, or particularly interesting. However, if any of them help you reach a goal of living the lifestyle you crave, aren’t they worth a try?
I did a lot of research in to working online in order to make money from home. I nearly chose drop shipping, but I wanted to do something that would hold my interest more. After a lot of reading and signing up to a lot of mailing lists, I decided to focus on affiliate marketing (hence the name of this website). I started with a mountain bike website, offering advice on mountain bike products, clothing and destinations. This is something I am passionate about, which is important if you want to start any business.
While reading up on how to make money from affiliate marketing, I obviously found out what it entailed, but I had no idea on how to get started. So I looked in to various sources of education. I came across lots of gurus telling me to give them money for the affiliate marketing secret of earning millions super quickly. They were not giving me anything, other than an idea I already had. I wanted some insight in to how affiliate marketing would work for me, with some realistic timeframes and goals. I nearly gave up, as everything seemed like a scam, until I found Wealthy Affiliate.
Wealthy Affiliate gave me the opportunity to go through some excellent training and start a website to play with and practice on for free. This was ideal, as I was still sceptical about starting my own affiliate marketing business.
You do get a lot more training and tools for affiliate marketing, when you sign up to the Wealthy Affiliate premium membership. This is something that you do need to pay for, so I had to do some more digging. It seemed brilliant, but so do a lot of things on the internet that claim to help you make money. I decided to Google things like “Wealthy Affiliate Scam“, to see what the world was saying about it. My research convinced me that Wealthy Affiliate was the way to go, It is very good and I use it every day.
The training course gives you all the training you need, in the right order. There is a load of tools and support included, making life a lot easier. You also become part of a community, in which you can ask questions. There are a lot of experienced affiliate marketers that can give you lots of tips and advice to help you out when you get stuck. If you are considering affiliate marketing, I recommend that you give Wealthy Affiliate a look. There is no obligation, and it gives you a lot without you needing to spend a penny.
Tips for working from home
Whatever you decide to do, when it comes to making money from home. There are a few challenges that you need to overcome, such as distractions, unannounced guests and the TV for example. Here are a few tips for working from home, that will help with your productivity and mental state.
- Make a list of what needs to be done each day and make sure you do it – By completing this list, you will have a feeling of satisfaction. If I don’t manage to complete my list everyday, I sometimes find it hard to sleep. There will be days when you are not particularly productive for many reasons. If it is unachievable to complete your list, reset and make sure you get up and smash it the following day.
- Don’t work in your Jim jams! – Get up, get dressed, have your breakfast etc and get working. If you have a routine, you will be in a better mindset and be more productive.
- Don’t let visitors in – This one is difficult, but if a friend decides to pop by, suggest that you meet up at lunchtime or for a beer after work. Use the “I’m up to my neck in it at the moment” or ” I’m on a roll, I can’t really stop” routines. They should understand.
- Go outside – I have been known to not go outside for three days at a time, and it shows. My wife notices that I look tired, I go quiet, I haven’t shaved and looked stressed. This was in the early days of starting my affiliate marketing business. My wife was earning money and I wasn’t, which made me feel guilty. This is why I shut myself away, working every minute I could. I felt like a naughty schoolboy bunking off school, when I went for a walk for half an hour. We moved to the French alps for a reason, and it wasn’t to sit inside all day. Exercise makes a huge difference to your mental state and makes you more productive when you get back to your laptop.
- Make a comfortable workspace – I don’t mean lounge on the sofa with the laptop, I mean make an “office space”. I bought an office chair and put it at the kitchen table. Having a proper place to sit is very important, or you will just have the TV on in the background and not complete your daily list.
- Pretend you are not home – If you are not expecting anyone and the doorbell rings, ignore it. That goes for the home phone too. Just carry on working and phone them back later.
- Book appointments like you were working in an office – Dentist, doctor or hairdresser appointments should be booked as though you are working in a conventional job. Yes, you have flexibility, but when you are working, you don’t want to interrupt your flow.
- Enjoy your flexibility – If you find your focus is waining and you end up scrolling through facebook etc, you are not being productive. Therefore, you might as well go and enjoy yourself. Go for a walk, bike ride, ski, dog walk etc. A while ago my internet connection went down, this was really stressful, but there was nothing I could do, so I went snowboarding for the afternoon. This made me feel much better 🙂
- Enjoy Disruptions – OK, I know I said pretend you are not in, but there is another tack you can take. A quick coffee and a chat can do you the world of good, and let you reset before smashing out more work.
- Make sure you don’t have junk food in the house – Sitting at home all day on your own very close (or even in) the kitchen can unleash all sorts of temptations. So, make sure you don’t have a cupboard full of chocolate and crisps. You will bound to graze on them and get fat.
So that is how I make money from home. I hope you find what you are looking for and reach your goal of earning money with the flexibility of doing what you want. Affiliate marketing is working for me, maybe it will for you too.