How Can I Make Money Online From Home?
As I sit here in front of my laptop, the world is in lockdown from Covid-19. Many people are sat at home either with an uncertain future or with some extra time on their hands. Therefore, many people are looking for ways to use their time productively and earn some money. There are loads of ways you can do this, so in this post I am going to answer the question of “How can I make money online from home?”.
There are a few ways you can earn money online, such as filling in online surveys and data entry. But these are not going to earn you any significant amount of cash. Therefore, I am going to go through some options that require a bit more effort, but are much more lucrative and worth spending your time on.
You may have a way with words, if so you can make some money from blogging. There are a number of different types of blogging, but it really comes down to two different types. You can either start your own blog and monetise it once you have a good following, or you can write blogs for other people.
Starting your own blog
You can learn more about this in my post how to make money from blogging, but if you want to start your own blog, it is easier to set up than you may think. There is also a number of ways that you can monetise it, from selling advertising space, affiliate marketing and selling your own products. I go in to all the details about this, in my post how to make money from blogging on WordPress. I give you all the information of how to get started, attract website visitors and how to get the money rolling in.
Here are some ideas about what you could blog about:
- Your travel experiences
- Food and drink
- How you keep the kids occupied
- Your hobbies
- Your expertise
There are billions of people with high speed internet these days, with their own interests. There is a high probability that there are people out there that want to read what you have to say. This is because your blogs will relate to them and you may be able to give them some ideas or information that will be beneficial to them.
Blogging for other people
The idea behind blogging for other people, is that business use blogs to attract potential customers to their website. The type of blogs you find on business websites are related to the industry they operate in. These may be about industry trends, answering frequently asked questions, new product releases etc. But, businesses find it hard to make time to write these blogs, so they employ the services of blog writers. You can approach local businesses and offer your services.
One good resource for writing blogs for money, is on fiverr.com. Here you can offer your services in a number of different ways, but it is popular for blog writers.
2. Affiliate Marketing
Affiliate marketing is closely related to blogging and it is what I spend the majority of my working time doing. Affiliate marketing is when you create content that promotes other people’s products and services. In return, you get paid a commission for any sales that you generate through your website. You can learn more about it in my post how to make money from affiliate marketing, but by creating content in a certain way, you can attract people to your website and recommend products and services that will solve a problem or enhance their life.
Your content needs to be based around what people are searching for online within a niche of your choice. For example, if you had a website that was based around juicers, you can recommend the “best juicer for a family of four” etc. The types of content you create for an affiliate marketing website are:
- Buyer’s guides
- Blog posts
- Personal experiences of products and services
Affiliate marketing can be a very lucrative business, when done properly. It is also a very cheap business to start, as all you need is a computer connected to the internet and a hosted website to get going. Check out my post how to learn about affiliate marketing to find out how to get started.
You may already have a skill that you can cash in on by doing it online from home. Freelancing is becoming more popular, as the internet allows people to continue the work that they are good at from home. It also gives you the flexibility to manage your time better, so you can do other things with your time, rather than be tied down to someone else’s working hours. Examples of freelance work are:
- Graphic design
- Website design
- SEO services
- Software design
- Online fitness instructor
This isn’t an exhaustive list, but hopefully it will help you to think of some way of selling your time. You may even decide to learn something new in order to become a freelancer.
Another one for those that have a way with words is proofreading. Documents, articles or any type of literature needs to be prepared for publication after they have been written. This is because, quite often the writer, may be an expert in the subject they are writing about, but may not be brilliant with grammar or spelling. This is where a proofreader is used to find any mistakes that have been made.
More experienced copywriters can get in to copy editing. This is a more in-depth field of copywriting, where you suggest larger changes to the content, it terms of how it reads.
Proofreading is a good option if you want to earn a bit of extra money. As long as you meet your client’s deadlines, you can do it at any time of the day.
5. Amazon Businesses
Amazon isn’t just a convenient place you you to buy stuff. You can use it as a platform to start your own business from. It has its advantages and disadvantages, but there are a number of ways you can use it to make money online at home. I go in to all the different ways in my post how to start an online business with Amazon, but examples are:
- Amazon FBA – A way of selling products, from an Amazon warehouse. Just send your stuff to the warehouse and Amazon will do all the packing and shipping
- Amazon Associates – This is Amazon’s affiliate program. It allows you to make sales commissions by promoting any of the products and services available on Amazon. One of the advantages of this, is that you make money from anything bought through your affiliate link within 24 hours. Imagine somebody buying a TV or games console, when all you did was point them in right direction of a good saucepan
- Publishing an ebook – Amazon makes it very easy to self publish a book. Amazon does take 35 to 70% of the sales price, but with the amount of people that have signed up to Kindle Unlimited should get you some sales.
- Amazon Handmade – This is for those of you that are a bit crafty and like to make their own products. This is similar to selling stuff on Etsy or Ebay.
- Amazon Merch – Create T-shirt designs that people will buy. This is good for making a bit of extra cash for Christmas and other seasonal events.
- Mechanical Turk – This is something I would avoid if I were you. It is a way of making money by carrying out mindless tasks. It is to help teach Amazon’s artificial intelligence about human behaviour. It is an easy way to make money online, but there are reports of it causing mental health problems.
6. Drop Shipping
Drop shipping is the process of selling products online without having to buy them before a customer has even bought any. You can learn more in my post on how to start a drop shipping online business, but the process works in the following way:
- You have an online shop that you promote with social media adverts
- The customer buys the product through your online shop and you place the order with a supplier (this is when you pay for it)
- The supplier packs it and ships it to your customer
- You make money by putting a markup on your cost to the supplier
This all sounds pretty easy, especially as most of this process is automated. However, the difficult part is the marketing, as you need to target a relevant audience. This is a case of trial and error, which does cost some money, so you have to be careful about your marketing budget.
7. Social Media Agency
Many businesses rely on social media for building their brand and keeping their customers informed. The problem is, is that the often find it difficult to make time to create and post great content. Therefore, they use social media agencies to look after their social media efforts.
Setting up a social media agency is a great way of making money. If you can find and create great and relevant content to share on a business’s social media channels, you can make a nice living. You can earn up to $1,000 per month per client, depending on what they want and how good you are. You can also make life easier for yourself by using scheduling tools. My post how to start a social media marketing business explains how you go about it.
This really goes under the freelancing banner, but if you have the skills and qualifications you can educate people from home online. You can teach academic qualifications or languages, or you can educate people about any skills you may have, such as SEO, web design, dance, fitness etc.
9. Virtual Assistant
A virtual assistant is someone that supports people and businesses remotely. They are in quite high demand for entrepreneurs and online businesses that need help but don’t want to or can’t employ people to work for them.
Basically a virtual assistant will do any office support tasks from admin to social media tasks. But Via are not limited to just office work, they can also be used for web design, accounts, copywriting etc. There are some VAs that specialise in certain things such as PR. The best way to offer your services as a virtual assistant is via freelance websites.
10. Sell Digital Products
Selling digital products online can be very lucrative. This is because, online products are ones that you create once and sell many times over. This is because they don’t physically exist, so people just download them. Examples of digital products are:
- Audio books
- Training courses
- Workout plans
- Digital art
- Presentation templates
There are way more digital products you can sell though a websites, but hopefully these will give you a good idea of what you can do. In many cases digital products such as ebooks are used as a way of earning money from the traffic you get from your blog. This is because you need to attract people to your ebook and by creating a blog you can do this without having to spend money on ad campaigns.
You may have a load of great photos or are keen photographer. if so there are a number of ways you can make money from photography.
- Stock photograph websites – These are where people will pay to use them in their blog posts or other online content.
- Your own website – By building your own website, you will be able to install a gallery plug in that will allow you sell your photos from it.
- Create an online shop – You can build an eCommerce website that will allow you to sell your photos
- Affiliate marketing – I know I have mentioned this before, but if you have a website based around photography, why not use your knowledge to promote products and services you recommend. By writing blog posts about the equipment you use, you can add affiliate links to them, which will make you money.
- Create a course – A course is a type of digital product that you can sell to your website visitors. Share all your top tips and skills to help people take the best photos.
How Can I Make Money Online From Home? - Answered
OK this may not be the definitive answer for everybody, but it gives you some ideas. But I have to say that in my experience, affiliate marketing is the way forward. It can be used for so many different niches and when it is done properly, the sky is the limit is when it comes to earning potential. But that comes as a very good second to the flexibility it gives you. This is because it is something you can do at any time.
If you have any questions or thoughts about making money online from home, please leave them in the comments section below. If you want to learn more about affiliate marketing check out my post how can I make money from affiliate marketing.