How Does Affiliate Marketing Work With Amazon?
Amazon is a household name and is probably the world’s largest shop. You can buy pretty much anything from Amazon that you can think of. As an affiliate marketer, you can make money from anything for sale on Amazon yourself. In this post I answer the question of, how does affiliate marketing work with Amazon?
What Is Affiliate Marketing?
Before I go into affiliate marketing with Amazon, I am going to give you a quick overview of what affiliate marketing is. I go into more detail in my post how can I make money from affiliate marketing, but in summary:
Affiliate marketing is the process of earning a commission from promoting other people’s products and services. You do this by creating content to attract and engage with your audience. This seems like an easy thing to do. Well, it is and it isn’t. You need to know the techniques that make it work. They are not particularly complex, but there is a lot of hard work to do.
There are four parties involved in affiliate marketing:
- The merchant (supplier of the product or service)
- The publisher (you as the affiliate marketer)
- Customer (the person buying the product or service)
- The affiliate program (this is what tracks your sales and commissions)
The customer searches the internet for the solution to a problem. They find your content that recommends a product or service that will help them. The customer buys through an affiliate link and the affiliate program rewards you for it.
So how do you do this with Amazon?
Affiliate Marketing With Amazon
Amazon is a very popular platform for affiliate marketers to start with. This is because it is free to join (as all affiliate programs should be) and due to the sheer amount of products available at Amazon, it is suitable for many different affiliate marketing niches.
You can easily place affiliate links to products you want to make money from into your website content. The other advantage of using a household name like Amazon is that everyone knows and trusts it as a brand.
Amazon Associates is the name of the Amazon affiliate program. It is very easy to use and create affiliate links. It allows you to earn anything from 1 to 10% of the sales price. The commission all depends on the product you end up selling through your affiliate link.
Joining Amazon Associates
Joining Amazon Associates is very easy. All you need to do is click here to get to the amazon associates page. Then create an account by simply following the instructions.
You will need to have your website or blog set up already, as you need to provide this information to create your account. Other things you will be asked while creating your account is your preferred store ID, how you intend to drive traffic to your website, how you build links etc.
You will also be asked for your phone number, so you can verify your account with an automated phone call.
Amazon will ask you how you want to be paid for your efforts. You have the choice of a cheque, a direct deposit or by Amazon gift card.
Once you have gone through the account creation process, you are ready to go. This doesn’t take too long either, so you constant earning straight away.
Making Money With Amazon Associates
To monetise your content using Amazon Associate, you need to drop in affiliate links into your content. For example, if you were to write a review on the Roborock S6 Robot Vacuum cleaner, you would need to drop the affiliate link into your review, so people could buy it.
There is several ways you can get affiliate links for the products you are promoting. My favourite way is to use the Amazon Associates SiteStripe.
SiteStripe is a plugin available from Amazon that allows you to get the affiliate link for each product on Amazon.
The tool lets you choose between affiliate links in the text, image or a composite of both. All you need to do is copy and paste it into your content.
Amazon’s affiliate marketing program is one of the best places to start your affiliate marketing business. All you need to do is direct your intended audience to Amazon, and they will do the rest for you. Amazon has perfected its platform for getting people into the buying mindset.
There are millions of products and services on Amazon for the affiliate marketer to promote. There are also lots of products added every day. This reduces competition. So you can avoid products that are already being promoted by more experienced affiliate marketers.
You do not need to own a product to make money from promoting it. Ideally, you should have personal experience of the product or some knowledge about its features. But, you can research the product and what other people are saying about it. This will allow you to highlight the pros and cons and consolidate other people’s experiences with it. This will give your readers a good idea about whether the product is for them or not. If they like the sound of the product or service, they will click on your affiliate link and buy the product on Amazon, and that is when you earn your commission.
With Amazon, you can make money out of products that you are not even recommending. When somebody clicks through to Amazon from your website, they may buy something completely different. But you still get rewarded for it as you get credited for sending the customer to them.
The other thing worth mentioning is that the customer can return to Amazon with 24 hours of their initial visit and you will still be rewarded for anything they buy
Pros And Cons Of Affiliate Marketing With Amazon
- There are millions of products to promote, making it good for pretty much any affiliate marketing niche you choose.
- You can earn a commission for any product bought on Amazon through your affiliate links
- You can earn money from any product on Amazon if the visitor buys within 24 hours
- Amazon is a household name that people trust to buy from
- One-click buy makes it easy to get sales.
Although Amazon Associates is popular with beginner affiliate marketers, there are a few things you should know.
- They change their commission rates without notice – They will all of a sudden reduce the commission rates you can earn. This will drastically reduce the amount of money you can earn, which is a real problem if you have amazon affiliate links all over your website.
- Short cookie life – Amazon gives you 24 hours to earn money from a potential customer’s click through to their website. This means, no matter how helpful your content is, you only have 24 hours to earn your commission. After these 24 hours, Amazon takes all the profit, even if it was you that directed the sale to them.
- You can’t get commissions from friends and family – Amazon is very clever and knows who your friends and family are. So if they buy through your website, you don’t get the commission for the sale.
- You can only use their images – If you wanted to promote a particular product on your website that is available on Amazon, you cannot use any other images for it, even if they are not very good. If you do this, you can get banned from the affiliate program.
- Amazon doesn’t have the best prices – As Amazon is such a huge operation, their operation costs are massive. Therefore, they have to raise their prices to ensure they make money. There is a good chance that your potential customers will be able to find the products cheaper elsewhere.
- FBA can be dangerous – FBA stands for fulfilled by Amazon and it allows people to put their branding on cheap products from China. This means that the products you promote may be of poor quality or dangerous.
- Account closures – Many affiliate marketers claim that they have had their accounts closed down unfairly. There is no way of contesting it when your account is closed. In addition to this, if you don’t make a sale in your first 3 months, your account will automatically be closed. This is difficult for new websites, as it can take many months to build enough authority to be in a position to make a sale.
Amazon Associates Rules
I mentioned Amazon’s rules above. These are always changing, but below are a few important ones you need to keep in mind.
- Iframe, Auto-tag, automatic cookie installs – These can have you banned or in court
- Using your affiliate link to make purchases – Amazon know where you live and they even know who some of your friends and family are. You won’t get the commission if you or some of your friends and family buy stuff through your affiliate links.
- Don’t put Amazon affiliate links in email – This is strictly forbidden.
- Adding links to PDF or eBooks – This will get you banned
- Don’t use link cloaking or link shortening – Amazon wants to keep track of where you are putting links
- No more than one account – There are exceptions to this rule as some business may qualify to have more than one depending on the scale or nature of the business.
- You need to produce quality content on your website – Amazon doesn’t like to be associated with people churning out rubbish
- Do not copy Amazon user reviews – You can use them for research purposes, but directly copying Themis plagiarism
- Your website must be appropriate – you can’t drop affiliate links on to violent or sexually explicit websites.
- No paid ads for affiliate links – Amazon won’t let you drop affiliate links into Google or Bing Ads
- Make a sale in your first 180 days – if you don’t manage this, your account will be closed.
- Don’t violate trademark rights – Your account will get banned if Amazon catch you
- Don’t mention the price of the product – Unless you put a disclaimer under the price when it was last updated
- Declare that you are an Amazon affiliate – You must identify yourself as an Amazon affiliate with the provided text
How You Attract Traffic To Your Website
To make any money from affiliate marketing, you need website visitors. The first thing you need to do is choose an affiliate marketing niche to work in. This will mean you have a targeted audience to concentrate your efforts on. A niche is a group of people with a common interest and your choice of the niche will either make or break your business before it has even started. They will have certain questions and problems you can provide answers for on a certain topic. You provide answers with content such as:
- Buyer’s guides
- Personal experiences
But how do you know what people are searching for online? If you just start writing about things you think people want answers to, you are just shooting in the dark. Therefore, you need to do some keyword research. This doesn’t take too long and you can quickly build up a list of things that people are looking for. This list will be what you base your content around and it will last you a couple of months.
For more information on affiliate marketing, check out my post on how to make money in affiliate marketing for beginners. I go through all the steps in more detail.
That Is How Affiliate Marketing Works With Amazon
Are you thinking about setting up an affiliate marketing business using Amazon? If so please let me know your questions and thoughts in the comments section below.