How To Work From Home Online
Working from home is getting more popular these days. Modern technology allows us to work from anywhere, but working from home has some fantastic benefits. In this post I am going to focus on starting a home business and how to work from home online in a productive enough way to ensure your success.
Set Some Rules For Your Online Home Business
When I was researching all of the options for online businesses to start, I wanted to know that whatever I chose was going to suit my needs. So as I looked in to my options, I had to make sure that it was going to keep my interest and fit in with my ideal lifestyle. Therefore, I wrote down a list of prerequisites that my new venture had to fulfil:
- It had to allow me to choose my own working hours
- I should be able to work from anywhere
- It had to be worth it with regards to earning potential
- There had to be reliable training resources, as I would be starting from scratch with something new
This list helped me eliminate a few possibilities on the grounds that they were not going to give me what I need.
I recommend that you create a similar list for yourself. This will highlight the options that will suit you the most, while ruling out the ones that you won’t like.
Ways Of Working From Home Online
I am now going to go through a few ways you can work from home. If you choose any of these options, I can pretty much guarantee that there will be a learning curve. You need to see this as an opportunity or even as a fresh start, rather than an obstacle to your future success.
Use Your Current Skills
You may have some skills that you would like to use for your online home business. Those of you with particular qualifications or skills can make money from them by working for yourself. Examples of these skills are:
- Language skills for translations
- Search Engine Optimisation
- Online teaching
- Computer programing
- Web design
- Graphic design
- Writing (blogging, copywriting etc)
Obviously this is not an extensive list, but hopefully it will give you an idea of what you could base your online business around.
Start A Social Media Agency
Social media is very important for businesses these days. However, businesses find it difficult to make time to create and post good social media content. Therefore, they employ the services of a social media agency to do it for them. I go in to more detail in my post on how to start a social media marketing business, but in summary as social media agencies provide the following services for their clients:
- Building their brand
- Attract customers
- Save time
- Analysing competition
A good way to get in to this, is to have a look at the social media efforts of a local business. Then look at ways of how you could improve it. Once you have some ideas, approach the business and let them know what you can do for them. Once you have proved yourself, you can start looking for new clients. I recommend that you get clued up on Facebook Ads to offer a full service.
Social media agencies can charge up to $1,000 per client per month. So you can see that there is quite a lot of earning potential.
Become A Copywriter
Creating content is super important for business’s marketing efforts. This is because they use it to communicate, educate, entertain their audience and tell potential customers about their products and services. Businesses are employing the services of copywriters more and more, as it is their job to create content that is informative and designed to guide the reader in to taking action.
My guide on how to become a copywriter with no experience gives you all the details, but a copywriter creates quality content for their clients. The largest part of the job is researching the topics you are writing about.
Other things copywriters do are proofreading, editing, looking for appropriate images for content, planning marketing campaigns and monitoring the effectiveness of their efforts.
If you are want to offer a more extensive service to your clients, you should learn about SEO, social media and possibly video marketing. This is so you attract traffic to your client’s website, with the goal of making more customers.
Copywriting can be a very lucrative business to get in to, but you really need to be good at marketing yourself to ensure that you get loads of work.
Start Drop Shipping
Drop shipping is a business model that allows you to sell products online without having to buy them first or ship them yourself.
With drop shipping, you don’t even need to see the product. This is because your supplier ships it directly to your customer. You only pay for products when somebody places an order through your website.
The supplier has their set price, but you add your mark up to make money. Often you can sell for 300 to 400% of what you pay for it.
There are a lot of people making some serious money from drop shipping. But the most difficult part is the marketing. To get people to your online store, you need to set up paid adverts on social media. This takes a lot of trial and error before you get the perfect targeting, which costs money. However, if you can get this right, you can do very well out of it.
Affiliate marketing is where I spend most of my working time. This is the process of promoting other people’s products and services in return for commission. It is a great way of monetising any website, especially blogs. But the idea is to attract visitors to your website by creating quality content that people are searching for.
By creating content that helps people, you can recommend products and services that will solve problems, examples of content are:
I go in to how affiliate marketing works in my post how can I make money from affiliate marketing, but there are a lots of things I enjoy about affiliate marketing. It allows me to live the lifestyle that I want to live. This is thanks to the flexibility it gives me and and the earning potential. But it also allows me to create content about all the things I am interested in. This is thanks to choosing the right affiliate marketing niche, as this is an essential first stage of affiliate marketing.
There are some things that you need to learn to ensure that your affiliate marketing business is successful. The techniques involved are not particularly complex, but you really need to get them right. This is why I recommend that your get some training.
I learned and still am learning about affiliate marketing from Wealthy Affiliate. I go in to more detail about what this is in my post affiliate marketing training beginners will love. But this is more than a training platform, as it has all the business tools and information to start your business from scratch to scaling it up in to a big earner. It even has a free membership that gives you first hand experience on what starting and running an affiliate marketing business is like. You can see what is included in my rundown of the Wealthy Affiliate Free Membership.
What It Takes To Work From Home Online
The thing about working from home online, is that you have to have a whole new mindset in order to make it work.
You really need to be disciplined to ensure that you are productive enough. This is something I struggle with from time to time, but everyone has their bad days. Discipline is made habit easier with some measures in place, such as:
- A dedicated workspace – Sitting on the sofa all day in front of the TV isn’t a productive work environment. Get an office chair and desk if you can. I have an office chair and use my kitchen table.
- Make a list of weekly tasks – The great thing about working for yourself online, is that you have flexibility to choose your working hours. However, you will need to ensure that you get enough work done each week. Therefore, set a list of jobs that you want to get done at the start of each week. Your progress through this list, will determine how much time off you can afford to have.
- Don’t start with a blank page – If your work consists of lots of writing, I recommend that you have all the articles you are writing that week planned out. Set articles out with all the headings you need. This way you don’t need to think about what you are writing about from scratch, saving you time.
- Make a morning routine – If you are working from home full time, you only have to answer to yourself. This makes it very easy to fall in to a bad routine of getting up late and not starting work early enough. Get up early, get dressed and start your day. You may want to have a morning workout before work, this is fine, but make sure your morning routine sets you up for a productive day.
- Prep all your meals and snacks – Doing this will mean that your breaks are more efficient. You will have ready to eat healthy food waiting for you. This is also really useful if you are on fuelling workouts and exercise routines.
- Avoid procrastination – This is easier said than done and I am very guilty of letting this affect my productivity. But, I have found a method of avoiding procrastination called the Pomodoro technique. Set a timer for 25 minutes and concentrate on work for those 25 minutes, then set another timer for 5 minutes. This 5 minute window is where you can do whatever you like, from social media, to playing with the dog. Then set another timer for another 25 minutes etc. Carry this on for a few hours and you will be surprised how much work you get done.
- Swap your commute time for productive time – The time you would normally use to commute, is now freed up. So, get up at the usual time as if you were going to your old place of work and use that time for exercise, reading or any way that will improve you as a person.
- Remove distractions – Close down tabs on your computer that you are not using, buy some noise cancelling headphones, get all odd jobs around the house done in advance. These are all things that will stop you being distracted from what you should be doing.
Online businesses need consistency in order to work. By this, I mean that you need to work on your business every day. This is because, your audience and search engines like websites that are updated and added to all the time. It shows that they are alive and well and a good source of information. As soon as you start letting it slip, it will become less visible and relevant to your audience.
There is no such thing as a business that gets you rich quickly. Businesses take a long time to make money, especially when the rely on quality content and search engine rankings.
Learning is an essential part of building an online business.It is wise to get a good amount of information before you start, as this will reduce the amount of mistake you make. But it is also important to keep learning. Even if you only learn a little bit each day, this will eventually add up to a large amount of knowledge. In turn, the work you put in will become easier and more effective.
That Is How To Work From Home Online
If you have any questions or thoughts about how to work from home online, please let me know in the comments section below.