Is Affiliate Marketing Profitable?
For those of you that are considering starting your own affiliate marketing business, you will be asking the question “is affiliate marketing profitable?” This is a good question to be asking, as you want to know if it is worth the effort.
In short, affiliate marketing is profitable, but it isn’t an easy ride to get to the point of making significant amounts of os money.
Affiliate marketing takes a lot of effort, but the process isn’t particularly complex. By learning the proper affiliate marketing techniques, you will be able to make lots of money within a niche you are passionate about or about a product or service you are passionate about.
The Process Of Making Affiliate Marketing Profitable
1. Focus On An Audience
The first thing you need to do is focus your efforts on a particular niche you are passionate about, or at least have an interest in. This allows you to target an audience and build yourself up to be regarded as an expert in that niche.
If you try to reach a broad range of people, you are going to need to put in much more effort to become established as an authority. It is best to use your knowledge to provide information on one particular subject that will keep bringing people back to your website time and again. I go into all the details in my post on how to find an affiliate marketing niche.
2. Find Out What Your Audience Searches For
The next thing you need to do is to find out what people are searching for within your chosen niche. This knowledge means that you will be able to create content that people are looking for. By this, I mean you will know what information to put on to your website, from products to promote and information to provide.
If your website is full of information that your intended audience looks for, you will attract people to your website naturally. This is because your content will appear in their Google search results.
The best way to find out what your audience searches for is to do some keyword research. Keywords are what people type in to search engines, so basing your content around them will put it infant of your intended audience. I go into all the details on how you do this in my post finding the best keywords for search engines.
When asking the question of “Is Affiliate Marketing Profitable?”, a large part of it is reaching your audience. If you don’t do proper keyword research, you are just shooting in the dark hoping you will write something that they are interested in. Therefore, a big factor in your profitability will be how well you do your keyword research.
3. Create Quality Content
Affiliate marketing is based around content. Your content determines how profitable your affiliate marketing business is. You will need to spend a lot of time creating content and this is where you will be spending the majority of your effort. You can’t expect to build a website one day and expect to make a load of money the next.
Many affiliate marketers fail when they expect to make money quickly. There are a few reasons why affiliate marketing is a slow burner, and content creation is one of them.
It takes time to create a piece of content properly and it has to be done in a certain way. Your content has to appeal to your audience while appeasing the Google gods. Therefore, you need to make your content engaging and SEO friendly.
In the early days of affiliate marketing, many people find it quite easy to write about stuff. Then after about six months, it gets to be a bit harder, as it becomes a job, rather than a new exciting venture. Motivation can start to wane at this point. This is because there will be things that are quite boring to write about, but you have to push through. You need to be prepared to write at least 1000 words per day.
Your content will consist of:
- Buyer’s guides
- Personal experiences with products and services
You need to create great content based on the keywords you have discovered within your niche. By doing this consistently, you will build up a profitable affiliate marketing website over time.
Is Affiliate Marketing Profitable?
So, to answer the question of Is “Affiliate Marketing Profitable?”, you need to look at the steps I have highlighted above. It comes down to how much effort you are willing to put in. It also depends on if you use the correct techniques. Some people suggest that there is no money to be made in affiliate marketing and that it is saturated. I can tell you now that this is impossible, and I go into why in my post is affiliate marketing saturated? You can have saturated niches, hence your niche choice is super important.
But, what if you get your niche right and you manage to create quality content? I will explain with an example to answer the question of “Is Affiliate Marketing Profitable?”. Say you have created content that promotes a product or service that can earn you $30 per sale. This is realistic, depending on the niche, product and affiliate program you join. Check out the infographic below to see the earning potential of affiliate marketing.
As you can see, affiliate marketing can be profitable. Now imagine a website full of content that can earn you money. I think we can agree that it is worth the effort.
However, it isn’t just the earning potential that affiliate marketers enjoy:
- Most of the time it doesn’t feel like a job. This is because you are creating content about things that you are passionate about. It is more of an extension of your interests when you are spending time creating content about the things you like.
- Being your own boss is great. You have nobody to answer to and nobody telling you what to do. You can create your own brand, decide what products and services to promote and how your website looks.
- Flexibility is a huge bonus. In fact, this is my main reason for starting an affiliate marketing business. I can choose my working hours, which allows me to enjoy life and do other things that I would normally miss out on working to somebody else’s timetable.
The freedom of having an affiliate marketing business is fantastic. With regard to the question of “Is Affiliate Marketing Profitable?”, the answer is yes as long as you do it properly and put the necessary effort in. You also need to be patient, as it takes time for your content to start to creep up the Google ranking. Don’t expect to earn anything for months, but eventually, it will start working for you. Expect to be earning good money after a year or two.
Can We Speed Up The Process?
There is no such thing as a get rich quick scheme, no matter what the internet gurus tell you. Affiliate marketing takes a long time to earn money. The reasons behind this are:
- Content creation – I mentioned this earlier, but creating great content takes time. Certain techniques will allow you to speed up the process and you will get faster with practice.
- Google algorithms – Google makes it difficult for new websites to get their content to rank highly. This is so its users see websites with quality content. After about four months, if you have been creating quality content consistently for this amount of time, Google will make it easier for your content to rank.
- The learning curve – The techniques are not particularly complex, but there will be new skills that you need to learn. SEO techniques, content creation and WordPress skills are just some of the things you will have to learn.
- Mistakes – You will make mistakes. Some mistakes will just be forgetting to employ certain SEO tasks or spelling mistakes. But some will be more critical. Many of these mistakes won’t become apparent for a few months. You will find them when you have learned something new or you are updating old content. But, you need to treat them as learning opportunities and make sure you don’t do it again. I know from first hand how frustrating this is, but you have to suck it up and carry on.
The best way to speed up the affiliate marketing process is to get educated. This will reduce the number of mistakes you make and you will have a good idea on what to do, rather than just starting while being uninformed. I go into all the ways in my post how to learn about affiliate marketing, but the way I learned (and still am) is through Wealthy Affiliate. You can learn all about what I like and don’t like about it in my post Does Wealthy Affiliate Really Work? Alternatively, you can check out the Free Membership for yourself by clicking on the image below.
Is Affiliate Marketing Profitable? - Answered!
Yes, affiliate marketing is profitable. As long as you put in the effort and use the correct techniques, anyone can make a great living from affiliate marketing. Please leave your thoughts and questions about this in the comments section below.