Is Affiliate Marketing Saturated?
There are many reasons for getting in to affiliate marketing, the flexibility and the earning potential are just two of the things that lure people towards it. In addition to this, affiliate marketing is a low cost way of starting your own online business. With these reasons in mind, Is Affiliate Marketing Saturated?
The short answer to this question is NO! I will go in to all the reasons why affiliate marketing is not saturated and why it is a perfectly viable industry to get in to.
Affiliate Marketing Is A Process
When we say a market is saturated, it means there are too many people trying to make money from it. Affiliate marketing is a process of promoting products and services, meaning it cannot be saturated. The process of selling things in shops is also a process, therefore this cannot be saturated either.
However, if you opened a shop to sell things in a saturated market, you would have a problem. This means that there are already too many shops selling the same things.
It is the same for affiliate marketing. When it comes to affiliate marketing, you need to work within a niche. But your choice of niche makes a big difference to how successful your affiliate marketing business is. One of the things you need to look in to when choosing an affiliate marketing niche, is how much competition you have. If there is too much competition, the niche is saturated. Therefore, you need to choose a different one. You can learn more about this in my post how to find an affiliate marketing niche.
Affiliate Marketing Is A Slow Process
You have probably come across loads of people on the internet selling their courses and ebooks, with the claim that they have the secret to overnight success. This is really not the reality of affiliate marketing. If you have any experience of the affiliate marketing process, you will know that it is a slow burner.
These gurus will claim that you can earn $1,000 in a day. This much is true, but it takes a long time to get to this point. You will have to work at it for months before you even see a penny. It takes a lot of hard work to get to that point too. You need to make a serious commitment to make an affiliate marketing business work. You can’t just dip your toe in the water and do bits and pieces of work here and there.
It is possible to start an affiliate marketing business in your spare time, but you really need to work on it every single day.
Why Is Affiliate Marketing Is A Slow Process?
There are a number of reasons why affiliate marketing is a slow process:
- Creating content takes time – This is something you get better at over time. There are a few things that you can do to speed up your productivity, but you will naturally get quicker and better at it with practice. But quality content can’t be produced without careful consideration.
- The learning curve – No matter what your knowledge or experience is, there will be something to learn. You need to be prepared to gain new skills, which takes a bit of time.
- Mistakes – You will make mistakes, it is natural, as you are only human. I have made loads of mistakes in my time. Many of these mistakes didn’t become apparent for a few months, as my knowledge base grew. But this is all part of the learning curve. As long as you don’t make the same mistakes, you are moving forward.
- Google Algorithms – Google puts new websites in to what is known as the sandbox. The sandbox makes it difficult for your content to rank for about four months. To get out of the sandbox, you need to keep producing quality content consistently.
Why Do Affiliate Marketing Websites Fail?
If you don’t put the effort in, your business will fail. You need to keep plugging away at it continuously for an extended amount of time. But there are a few other reasons for failure:
- Niche choice – I mentioned this earlier, but choosing the right niche is super important. If you choose the wrong niche, you are setting yourself up for failure. I have done this myself, trying to appeal to as many people as possible. This isn’t the best way to do it.
- Giving up to early – The slow nature of affiliate marketing is down to the few elements I mentioned above. But, you never know how successful you would have been if you gave up. I have been close to giving up myself, but I’m glad I am still pushing on towards success.
- Not learning enough – I wouldn’t say affiliate marketing is complex, but there are a few techniques you need to employ to make it work. You need to learn things like SEO, content creation and best practices. There are a few ways to learn about affiliate marketing and you can read about them in my post how to learn about affiliate marketing.
- Being inconsistent – Search engines and your audience like to see a regularly updated website. This shows that it is a reliable source of information, which bumps content up the Google search rankings.
- Not taking it seriously – As I mentioned before, affiliate marketing is not something you can drift in and out of. You really need to be organised, productive hard working, keep learning and create great content.
When affiliate marketing websites fail, we hear the excuses come out. This is usually when people have paid for the ebooks with guru’s secret recipe for overnight success. These excuses are usually, “affiliate marketing is a scam” or “affiliate marketing is saturated”.
Research Is Very Important
Many people go in to affiliate marketing without doing enough research. I have been guilty of this, but I have learned from my mistakes.
If I wanted to open a bike shop, I wouldn’t just find a building that was big enough to store my bikes in and hope people came in to buy them. I would find a building that had great footfall of potential customers, research my competition, find out what kind of bikes (if any) people ride in the area, find out the best way to market to the customers and put some thought in to my brand.
If I am going to risk everything on opening a bike shop, I am going to make sure I have done as much research as possible to give me a fighting chance of it working.
This is the same with affiliate marketing. But, you can do this much more easily, as you have very little startup costs, you don’t have to buy stock and you can do it from the comfort of your own home. The only real thing that stops people from doing this, is time. Therefore, they find a guru online that promises them a fast way to success.
As I have said throughout this post, there is no fast way to success, so when the guru’s system doesn’t work, they give up.
To succeed in affiliate marketing you need to research:
- Your niche
- Products and services to promote
- SEO techniques
- Best practices for content creation
- Keyword research
If I was to open that bike shop, I would expect to wait a couple of years before I made any decent money. This is the same with affiliate marketing. Therefore, when new affiliate marketers don’t get rich in a few weeks, they give up and think that affiliate marketing is saturated or a scam.
In my experience, the best place to learn about affiliate marketing is at Wealthy Affiliate. You can learn all about it in my warts n’all review Does Wealthy Affiliate Really Work? I go in to what I like and don’t like about it. But I think it is a really good place to start, especially as it has a free membership.
Provide Quality Information
The way you get traffic to your website is to become a source of quality information. By doing this, your website will be recognised by search engines for this information and if it is relevant enough to people’s searches, it will be ranked higher in the search results. The higher your content ranks, means that you get more traffic. This in turn will make you more money.
The content you create has to help people. Therefore, you need to be answering questions that people are asking online. So rather than just publishing a page that looks like an online shop or catalog, you need to provide value and knowledge to the reader.
You will of course need to monetise your content with affiliate links, but you will never earn anything if you base your content with a “buy this!” attitude and style.
There Are Lots Of Affiliate Marketing Opportunities
There are currently 7.8 billion people in the world. There are more people every day getting connected with high speed internet, all with their own interests and problems that need solving. In addition to this, mobile technology allows people to spend money online from anywhere and at any time.
All this provides a huge earning potential if you follow the proper processes of affiliate marketing. The effort is worth it, for both creating a great lifestyle and filling your bank account.