What Do You Need To Know About Affiliate Marketing?
I have been in to affiliate marketing for a while now and picked up lots of techniques, discovered things from experience and learned from some really good training. If you are considering a move in to affiliate marketing, here are some top tips to answer the question of “what do you need to know about affiliate marketing? This is for those that want a head start with their business or want some help in making a decision whether to pursue affiliate marketing.
Starting your own business needs to be taken seriously. This is not a hobby that you come back to every now and then. Affiliate marketing needs continual attention to be successful. It needs to be treated the same as any offline business, such as a physical shop made from bricks and mortar. There are a few things you need to do to treat your business seriously.
1. Be Organised
By visualising where you want your business to be, you can set yourself tasks to get you there. These tasks are the steps to having a successful business. For example, when it comes to choosing a niche, you need to do some research to determine the best one for you and if it is going to be profitable.
You also need to plan the content you want to create. With good keyword research, you can create a list of articles to write. These articles will be SEO friendly (more on that later) and attract free traffic to your website. Doing this makes you much more productive too and you only have to do it every now and then, as a keyword list can last months.
2. Be Positive
How you talk about your affiliate marketing business is very important. Being positive shows the world how seriously you are taking it and how it is perceived by others. If you talk negatively about your business, people will think that you are just playing at it. This negativity has a huge impact on your mental health and can snowball. This in turn will affect how well you perform.
To stay in a positive mindset you need to do the following things:
- Be productive – You will feel good when you have done lots of quality work and see the potential in what you are doing
- Monitor your sales and clicks – When you start to see the figures increasing, either with transactions or clicks, you can see progress no matter how small they are.
- Positively interact with your audience – When you get messages, comments and emails, respond to them like you would with a traditional offline business.
- Proudly tell people what you do – When someone asks you what you do, tell them you have your own online business and you have based it around what you love to do in life.
Do these things with passion and stick to your guns. People will treat your business and you with respect, no matter how young it is. This will really help with your motivation too.
Choose a Good Theme
When using a WordPress website (like this one), you need to choose a good theme. The theme determines what your website will look like. There are thousands of different themes for many different types of website. You need to make it as user friendly as possible, easy to read and fast. A slow website will put people off and will not bother waiting for pages to load.
Your theme also needs to be “responsive”. This is when a website is good for mobile devices. I made this mistake on my first website. It worked great on a computer, but was terrible for mobile users. Which was a big problem, as 70% of my visitors were using their phones. Therefore, I had to change my theme and do a lot of work to make my site look right and perform well on mobile phones.
Choose A Good Brand and Domain Name
A huge part of affiliate marketing is to create, build, expand and to strengthen your brand. Doing this properly will set you apart from the millions of affiliate marketers out there. To strengthen your brand you need to:
- Be truthful with your audience – Let them know that you are an affiliate marketer and will earn money from them buying something through your website.
- Only promote good stuff – If you don’t believe that something is good, don’t say it is just to try to make some money. You will soon get a bad reputation for promoting inferior products and services. By genuinely providing information that will solve your audience’s problems, you will gain respect and they will keep coming back.
- Get a good logo – If you can, have a designer create a logo for you. You can do this through websites such as Fiverr. Alternatively, you can create your own with websites such as Canva for free. Your logo needs to look professional as it will be on your website and business cards for a long time.
- Choose a good domain name – When it comes to choosing a domain name, take some time and don’t rush. You will have chosen a niche, so it needs to either be relevant to your niche or needs to be your name. Make sure it is a .com domain name, as this shows that you are serious about what you are doing. Avoid hyphens too, this is a mistake that I made with one of my websites and I’m stuck with it. Hyphens make it hard to remember and to tell people what your domain name is.
Learn SEO Techniques
Good SEO (Search Engine Optimisation) techniques is how you get your content ranked highly in search engines. The higher you are in search engines, the more traffic you will get. The more traffic you get the more money you will make through sales.
Good SEO techniques will bring you free traffic to your website. This means you don’t have to rely on paid adverts and social media promotions. Therefore, doing it properly with SEO is the best way to get traffic.
SEO techniques are what you do when creating content. From keyword research to engagement, there is a lot you can do to ensure that your content is as easy to find as possible.
Be Consistent and Hard Working
To make it with your affiliate marketing business, you need to do something every day. But, it has to be quality work. By being consistent and dedicated, you prove to your audience and to search engines that you are serious.
The chances are, you will have found some websites and YouTube videos of gurus pitching a certain lifestyle and a loophole that lets you get to this lifestyle overnight. It takes time to make money with affiliate marketing, so if anyone tells you otherwise, they are probably trying to sell you something dishonestly.
You need to be dedicated and put the effort in. You will not make any money if you sit and watch Netflix all day. It takes months to make any money at all with affiliate marketing, so working consistently over a long period of time is totally necessary to be successful.
Your business needs time to build. It will start with making nothing, then become pennies and cents, then become pounds and dollars before you start making thousands per month. This is where we have to remain positive and dedicated, as it can be quite soul destroying when you are not making money. But, it will come with time and effort.
Get Some Training - The Key To Success
With some training, the guess work is removed. We all have to learn skills for anything new and training is the best way to go about it.
Many affiliate marketers fail due to lack of training or from poor training. You can do lots of research on the internet or watch YouTube videos. This is when vital steps and techniques are missed out. Additionally, many of the affiliate marketing resources you come across will tell you to spam as many people as possible with affiliate links. This is bad practice, as search engines will penalise you by not letting you rank very high.
The best practice, is to help people and provide them with quality information. It is this quality information that search engines like, so they make it easy for people to find. This is why creating SEO friendly content is so important.
Quality training on these skills is essential. The right training will give you information on every step of building your affiliate marketing business. This saves you lots of time and means you make less mistakes. It is pretty annoying when you have done something wrong that prevents people finding your website and you don’t find out why until a few months later.
It is best to go with a trusted and proved training provider. My recommendation is Wealthy Affiliate. I have been a premium member for a while now. I learned and am still learning everything from this platform. There is a free membership that gives you access to training, tools and support. It also gives you two free websites to play with.
What Do You Need To Know About Affiliate Marketing? - Answered!
I hope this has been of use to you. Affiliate marketing has changed my life for the better. I can work when I want, where I want. Check out the Wealthy Affiliate Free Membership. This is how I started, it is risk free and all you need is an email address.
Have I missed anything? Please leave your thoughts and questions in the comments section below.