There are loads of different ways to make money on the internet. I chose affiliate marketing, as it has the potential for huge earnings and it gives me the flexibility to do what I want.
However, you need to know that you won’t get rich quickly. If anyone tells you that you can, they are lying and trying to sell you something. It is like any business, in the fact that it takes time to build. But it is a pretty cheap one to start up in comparison with a physical shop etc. Most affiliate marketers don’t make any money for months or over a year. This is why it is pretty easy to give up, I have had these moments many times, but soldiered on with lots of hard work. But, to help keep you going you need to choose the right niche. In this post I am going to answer the question of what is an affiliate marketing niche? And how to choose one.
What is and Affiliate Marketing Niche?
If you choose the right niche, you can make a fantastic difference to how successful your affiliate marketing business is. A good niche can become your online identity or your brand. Your brand will determine how you come across and interact with your audience. For example, do you want your brand to be funny or serious? Do you want to focus on sports equipment or kitchen appliances.
Whatever you choose, you need to set up your personality and focus on what you are interested in. A good niche:
- Makes sure your efforts are put in to a particular area
- Builds an online following
- Can be shared among like-minded people
- Improves your metrics
Therefore, deciding on your niche is the first thing you need to do. The niche for this website, is learning how to become an affiliate marketer, so you can pursue an adventurous lifestyle. But, it does work for anyone that wants to have an online business.
How to Decide on your Affiliate Marketing Niche
Even though choosing an affiliate marketing niche is very important, it is actually quite simple. There are thousands of affiliate marketing programs you can join in order to promote products or services. Therefore, you will be able to promote anything you want. To get the best results, you need to find the best affiliate marketing niche for you. But, before you decide, there are a few things to take in to account:
- Choose something you are passionate about – It is much better to choose something that you are enthusiastic about, than what you think will just earn money. This is because you will enjoy it more, it will hold your interest and you can be exited about it. Therefore, think about what you enjoy doing and what interests you. There are billions of people on the internet, so there will be people interested in the same things as you.
- Know the market – You need to make sure that the market isn’t saturated. Some niches are overloaded with affiliate marketers. This makes it difficult to break in to those niches. However, you can still go for those niches, but you have to be more creative than everyone else. You can check out the Wealthy Affiliate community, to see what people are doing and how they are doing it.
- Be yourself… or not – If you work out what makes you unique, you can still earn money in a saturated affiliate marketing niche. You need to think about how you want to do your marketing and in what style. Do you want to make it fun or just informative for example? You also need to decide if your website is going to be a “me” or a “we” website. A “me” website is more personal and a “we” website makes you seem like a bigger organisation. Everyone has their own approach, which will build their reputation. Work out your approach and stick with it.
Is it a Good Affiliate Marketing Niche?
When you are looking in to possible affiliate marketing niches, you need to not be drawn in by niches that you think are profitable, but have no interest in. So you need to ask yourself some questions:
- What are you interested in?
- What do you know about?
- Are you excited about it?
- Are there affiliate programs for it?
- Is this niche saturated with other affiliate marketers?
The best way to make sure you choose the right affiliate marketing niche, is to get some training. The best platform for this that I have found, is Wealthy Affiliate.
However, by just doing a quick Google search, for affiliate programmes in niches that you are thinking about, will reveal that there are thousands of programmes you can sign up to.
You need to think about what good affiliate marketing niches that can answer all the questions above. For example, if you are passionate about a potential niche, but there are already lots of affiliate marketers working within it, you will have a lot of competition. However, you may choose a niche with less competition, but you might not know much about it. This is why I recommend that you get some training.
Researching your Affiliate Marketing Niche
There are a few things you can do while researching your potential affiliate marketing niche.
- What is popular? – Searching on various sites such as Amazon, you can see what people are interested in. Check out social media too, to see what people are talking about.
- Find people – By joining various social media groups and forums related to your potential niche, you can find what people are interested in. Also, building up your presence in these groups, gives you places to share your content, to answer their questions.
- Google – By searching for affiliate programmes for your niche, you will be able to find out if you can monetise your website.
- Learn – There is lots of free information on the internet to help you with your affiliate marketing website. But, it is difficult to get all of the information you need and to determine if it is correct. By following a course like this one, you will get all the information in the right order. This means that you will learn ho to do it the proper way.
Become an Authority
Once you have your niche, you need to build your brand. You need to establish yourself as an authority figure or expert for your chosen niche. This way, you will get a following and become trusted enough for people to follow your recommendations (which they will do through your affiliate links).
This takes a long time, and one of the reasons why affiliate marketing takes so long to be fruitful. Along with a lot of dedication, there are a few things that can help you build your online brand:
- Make your website, easy to navigate, read, update and analyse. Check out Wealthy Affiliate for free training on how to do this.
- Your website is the foundation of your business, but there are other ways to make yourself more visible. Social media, video reviews and online advertising are all ways to reach more people within your niche.
- Work hard to reach your goals. You need to remember that can take a year or more before you start seeing profits. But, don’t be afraid to make changes if things are not working out too well. You will learn a lot while building your website and find things that you wish you would have known when you started.
With all this information you should be able to choose your affiliate marketing niche and get started. I can’t Street enough how important it is to get the right training though. This will save you from making lots of mistakes and keep you focussed. Also, I know I have said it a couple of times, but affiliate marketing takes time. Be patient and work hard!